You guys probably don't know this about me but I love to bake! My specialty are my caramel slices, but I'm having to amend most recipes for my new Lactose-Free diet. As such, here's a great recipe, totally vegan, gluten and dairy free!!
All of the ingredients can be found in Tesco while you're doing your shopping, then you prepare it and freeze it at a time convenient to you, and you cook it in the dish(es) you serve it in, so it's handy and it's mess free to boot!!
Without further ado, I give you my (amended) version of a Berry Crumble I saw on Nigella once!
FOR THE CRUMBLE
- 100g of Gluten Free Flour (you can get it at any Tesco)
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 50g COLD Soy Butter (diced up) (again, you can get this in Tesco, dirt cheap)
- 3 tbsp Demerara Sugar (the light brown one)
FOR THE FILLING
- Frozen Berries (from the freezer aisle in Tesco)
- 1 tsp Cornflour (thickening agent for those not in the know)
- A sprinkle of Vanilla Sugar (You can substitute regular sugar and a couple of drops of Vanilla Essence)
- First, you'll wanna decide whether you're making this in one big ovenproof dish, or in personal serving sized ramekins. When you've sorted that out, pop them onto a baking tray and leave them to one side.
- Pop the Gluten Free Flour, Baking Powder and the Soy Butter in a bowl, and rub together until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Nigella said "coarse sand" in her TV programme, but ewww, sand!
- Stir in the sugar, or mix it around with your fingers, and then pop it all into a freezer bag and bung it in the freezer til you need it. For this recipe, we can retrieve it in a "Here's one I made earlier" style move!
- Preheat your oven to Gas Mark 7/ 220 degrees and while its heating up, pop your summer berries into either an oven proof dish (Pyrex or the like) or evenly distribute them between 4 ramekins. Throw in some of the vanilla sugar and cornflour, and stir it up a bit.
- Spread the frozen crumble mix over the tops of the frozen berries, bake for 20 minutes and enjoy!
Even though this is Dairy and Gluten Free, this crumble is awesome and appropriate for this time of year!